Tuesday 3 July 2012

We're Back and We're Going to the Olympics!

Hey everyone! I first, and foremost, must apologize for my 3-month hiatus from writing this blog. Like most things, once April hit, life got in the way. I want to thank you for all the kinds words and support for creating this blog. I've been asked on many occasions when I was going to get back to it - that time is now! I'm excited

Let me give you a quick run down on what led me to have little time to write this blog in April, May, & June. In April, I was studying for/writing 3 graduate school final exams + running 100km/week + studying for the medical school entrance exam (MCAT) in June + I was invited to referee at the Dallas Cup - 'World's Biggest Youth Soccer Tournament' (April 1-8) + began working an 24 hr/week research assistant position! May was much different, courses were over but still studying for the MCAT + a much needed week in Cuba where I still ran/elliptical'd for an hour each evening and studied for an hour each morning. Then, I was off to Toronto for 2 weeks for refereeing again and for some down time that included work and study + more 110-120km/hr weeks. Then June rolled around where the study, running, and work was compounded by completing data collection for my Masters and adding 3-4 games of reffing soccer per week! overload.... 

Needless to say, something had to give and as far as priorities went, the blog had to be laid off. However, life has become extraordinarily more free since courses have ended and exams have been written (which I'm relatively pleased about!). Currently, I'm focused on running 120km/week, getting some racing in when I can, reffing a few games per week and enjoying this thing called... 'FREE TIME'. Never really experienced before - apparently it's this thing people do where they just sit down and don't do anything. They might watch TV or read a book or actually just sit and do absolutely nothing! ha I'm looking forward to trying such a ridiculous concept. 

In the end, I'm very pleased I was able to keep my sanity during the last 3 months. It was a whirlwind to say the least. But I did one learn very important truth: There's only so much you can do, before you start to achieve diminishing returns. I felt the full brunt of this. I was balancing so many things, that it became near impossible to 'master' any one of them. I'm a person who likes to give everything 110% and that was just not possible. The same goes for running, if you push yourself all of time and never give yourself enough rest or easy days to appropriately recover, then you'll never get faster - you'll actually get slower. 
------------------------

OK OK.. enough about me, lets get down to business. I'm not going to recap the last 3 months as that would take you a month to read and me 3 months to write. But, this is a great time to start up this blog again as the Canadian and USA Olympic Track & Field Trials just finished up this weekend and the Olympics are just around the corner.

I'm going to cover who is travelling to London in ~3 weeks in the distance events (from 800m to 10,000m) and tell you about some of the more notable races / performances in those events.

This week:
- 800m
- 1500m (will recap 5,000m & 10,000m next week)
- Two amazing finishes that are hard to believe..

Such as....... This picture showing the 3rd/4th place finishers for the USA Women's 100m. 
Who actually made it to London? 




No comments:

Post a Comment